Sunday, February 28, 2010

The garden is planted.

Well, some of the garden is planted.  Indoors.  In little containers with peat that sort of look like brown sushi when you water them to expand them.  Ami J and I took the kids to Rocky's 20% off sale yesterday and got the majority of what we were looking for-a few special things are being ordered from catalogs.  Last night we had a planting party:  here's what we planted:
We both admit, that we got a little carried away at Rocky's...it wasn't in our original garden plan to plant birdhouse or dipper gourds, but who could resist?  Obviously, not us.  

Now we are getting pretty close to the time when things like peas need to be planted right into the ground-so in the next couple of weekends, we need to get ourselves bundled up and out in the back to start the cleanup.  I would have done some of it today if I wasn't so exhausted from having strep throat this past week.  But we are moving.  Most of the stuff that needs to be started indoors has been started-we need to get some brussel sprout seeds, and some other random herb that Ami wants.  But as of now, I have 4 lovely seed trays steaming up nicely next to the window in the living room.  See?

The random green dish looking this is just that...its a plastic dog dish that I have converted into the planter for my cat grass.  I suspect that my cats will eat it and promptly throw it up, but we will see.  I am hoping that since cat grass is specifically for cats that maybe it will actually work as it should, but its an experiment, for sure.

Updates on other planting projects:  here's my window herb garden:

Correct.  Nothing has sprouted.  Awesome.  

My rosemary plant is VERY unhappy.  I am not sure what the problem is, other than I am sure she doesn't want to be inside any more than I do at this point:
See?  Very sad.  Hang in there girl...I will get you outside soon. And probably bring you a nice handsome friend from the Hartford Farmer's Market...that should start pretty soon.

And last but not least today, a teeeeeeeny bit of Spring.  Ami brought it home from River Valley Market for me. 
And there are only 27 days until the Smith College Bulb sale...and I am counting.  

Here's hoping that March doesn't come in like a lion but leaves like a lamb...I am not hopeful...I think I hear the weather people predicting snow for some time this week.  Although, they haven't been what you would call...um, what's the word I am looking for...accurate...for the past couple of months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment