Sunday, September 26, 2010

Energy bars!

This is last weeks recipe, but as I mentioned previously, I had some technical difficulties.  This recipe is from Elle Krieger's cookbook "The Food you Crave".  I was going hiking so I decided to try these out to bring along.  This is by far one of the easiest recipes I have ever made-essentially you dump all the ingredients into a food processor, grind it up and put it in a pan...
First... most of the dry stuff, then...


Fruits, nuts, etc....then...





You add in the eggs and the maple syrup to bind it all together...then...




Press it down into a pan, bake it for about 20 minutes.  The bars will still be soft when you take them out, but nice and brown.  Here's the thing.  They do not taste processed.  In fact, the first bite I took I was kind of on the fence about them because there wasn't that instant mouthful of sugar.  But they are really good.  Warm or cooled off.  My kids hated them, but all the grownups that had them said they really liked them.  They store really well in a container for a week or so, and apparently you can freeze them.  They are also very good for you...email me if you want the recipe. 

I will be cooking something else today...I am realizing that I have to plan for this and I am not the best planner when it comes to cooking or baking.  So, I am off to Jack's game and then I will peruse the cookbooks to try to find something delightful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment