Sunday, September 5, 2010

So. Haven’t posted anything here for awhile.


Would you like to know why? The garden died (gasp). It wasn’t really the garden’s fault…we neglected it. No other way to put it. There are 57 different excuses I could give you, my dear reader, but for me, the real reason has become clear to me. I don’t like gardening. I like ordering seeds, and I sort of like planting things, but after that…not so much. I can’t speak for Ami J, but the bottom line is this for me. I am not a gardener.

However, all is not lost. I did realize what I am, or really what I like to do. I like to make things…bake them, cook them, process them for freezing, can them…I was going to use the term “processor”, but that sounds too industrial for my liking. I have found my place in the food chain…

The focus of this blog is going to change now. I have been looking for a full time hobby (not in place of my full time job, sadly…but a hobby I can do with regularity) and I think diving into the world of trying to eat more locally, and “putting food by” might just be the ticket.

If you will indulge me, I would like to give you a little background information about my family. I lost my mom at a very early age, so I have a very limited memory bank for her. However, the memories I do have are mainly from time spent in the kitchen. I was helping her bake pies for Thanksgiving by the time I was 7 or so, I remember there being a full cabinet of canned items in our basement, there were always baked goods coming out of the oven, every birthday cake I had was homemade and was themed. I have always baked. I thoroughly enjoy the process, and I also enjoy when I share what I have made and its appreciated.

At some point, I decided that I needed to learn to make jam. I vaguely remember Mom doing it, and it was one of those things that I thought I should know how to do. Lucky for me that Ami J was a Betty Crocker Homemaker award winner (this always makes me giggle) and she was willing to teach me. So one day several years ago, Ami J, Ami N and I “jammed” for the first time. And we are hooked. And we have a fairly large fan base, my favorite fan being Jack...I will include a picture of him eating jam in his favorite way (right out of the jar). I like the process involved in making jam, and I really like being able to see what I have accomplished at the end of the day. Its also nice to crack open a jar in the middle of winter.

So here we are in present day. Ami J and I are trying very hard to support local agriculture, and although we don't think a big garden is in our future, we have decided next year to expand the beds of strawberries, try potatoes again, and get some more rhubarb in. Ami N wants peas again...she might have to be in charge of that. Last weekend, Ami J and I picked up our bulk orders of peaches, basil and zucchini...here's what we did with it...

Peach, and Blueberry Peach.
I also made zucchini bread and zucchini muffins to freeze.  Ami J made pesto.  I also made a birthday cake for Ami N, 3 meatloaves (is that a word?) to freeze, banana muffins, and a couple banana breads to freeze.  I didn't get pictures of all of those...my camera is on the fritz.  I felt great at the end of this day...so much accomplished in about 6 hours of work (that I don't really consider work)...I need to do this more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment